Tuesday, May 7, 2013


Pesto should always be homemade!
 Why, you ask? I will tell you...

Reason #1: You can make pesto sauce for about half the price 
of what it costs in the store!

That's right! Did you k/now that Trader Joe's sells ORGANIC basil in a large clamshell for $2!? Crazy! (The more I find there, the more I love T.J's!)
With most of this, you can make a good amount of sauce, and have a few leaves 
left over for a another recipe.

Reason #2: No preservatives!

I'm on a quest to try to eliminate most all preservatives from the food we eat. I must confess, we're not super strict, but we are slowing learning and getting better about this. Wherever you can eliminate fake preservatives you can't pronounce, that's is a very good thing, am I right?

Reason #3: It tastes amazing!!!

You can make it how you like! Do you want no or little salt? 
You can't take the salt out of a jar.

So, before I give you the recipe, this is the kind of thing you can eyeball.
You can measure if you want... but part of the fun is testing to see what 
needs a little extra boost.


Easy Pesto Recipe

Ingredients:
Lots of basil, about 1 cup
A couple tablespoons of olive oil (more to thin)
A few dashes of salt and pepper to taste
a clove or two of garlic (or more, if you have garlic madness like me!)
add 1/4 to 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (optional, if none, you might add a little extra salt)
add pine nuts if you want (again, optional, about 1/4 cup)

Directions:
Put basil and olive oil together in a food processor, and blend well.

Add the rest of the ingredients, and blend again.

Mmmm.... cheese...
 Blend it all in, and you're done!

I promise the rest of my recipes will not be this... abstract, if you will.
Sometimes, I just like to not measure! How about you?

I highly recommend this in a mozzarella, tomato, and pesto sandwich on toasted sourdough. Doesn't that sound divine on a Spring-turning-into-summer day? Mmmm...
Now I know what I'm having for lunch.

~~~

Please note that this recipe was adapted and tweaked from the original recipe at
I like experimenting and making things my own, but let's also give credit where credit is due.
It's called Karma, people!





No comments:

Post a Comment